The below suggested items will ensure a more enjoyable and comfortable stay at Finca Bellavista. In general, do not depend on being able to purchase the below items while traveling within Costa Rica. Plan ahead and pack accordingly.
- Flashlight/headlamp: The majority of our pathways are not lit, and it can be pitch black at night. Remember to bring back-up batteries, though a small selection is usually available for purchase at reception.
- Backpack: Use a backpack to pack trip essentials. Do not plan to use rolling or heavy suitcases, as you (or a hired luggage porter, if available) will need to carry them to/from your treehouse on hiking trails, which are rocky and steep.
- Boots & Socks: Necessary for a variety of reasons – to prevent insect bites, stubbing toes, trudging through mud, protecting from animal bites – as well as your safety and comfort. If you do not want to travel with boots, you are free to borrow a pair from our community wall (or purchase a $10 pair in a ferreteria hardware store upon arrival to Costa Rica). There is no guarantee of size or sock availability once on site at the finca.
- Medications: If you are on daily medications, be sure to bring them with you.
- Quick-dry clothing: Lightweight pants and a long-sleeved shirt (for cooler nights or bug protection).
- Water bottle: To refill and hydrate at water stations, and cut down on plastic waste.
- Bathing suit: To enjoy the finca’s rivers and waterfalls.
- Sunblock: Because the finca is 8 degrees north of the Equator – the sun is strong!
- Sunglasses/Hat: Extra sun protection is good!
- Bugspray: The bugs in the rainforest are not as bad as people imagine, and far less irritating than at the beach. However, some people are more susceptible to bites than others. Bring bug spray if you are one of these people.
- Rain gear: It’s warm rain but its still wet. If that bothers you, be prepared.
- Guidebooks: It’s good to hit the trails with a little guidance if you are interested in something specific. Reception also has a selection available to loan.
- Book: Lounging in a hammock just isn’t the same without one. The Community Rancho has a book swap too.
- Electronic Device: If planning on using WIFI and connecting with the outside world, please bring a device to log in on.
- Chargers/Batteries: Batteries are available for purchase in Reception, but phone and device chargers are hard to come by in the Southern Zone.
- Games/Cards: To pass the time in the treehouse or in the event of rain. The Reception also has a selection to borrow.
- Food/Snacks: If you get hungry between meals or don’t plan on joining meals in the Community Center and would rather cook, please be prepared. Finca Fresh bags of produce are available upon check-in.